GMP CBD Oil
Hemp Derived CBD Oil Extract
GMP CBD Oil Extracted from hemp (Cannabis sativa with <0.3% THC) is a widely is used to manufacture refined GMP CBD extracts such as CBD distillate and CBD isolatecurrently the most sought after cannabis derived product. As mainstream companies from the pharmaceutical, nutraceutical and food and beverage sectors realise the value of CBD as an ingredient in health, wellness and medical products they require quality product that has been manufactured to the same standards required for every food and medical product.
Types of CBD Oil
CBD Extraction Method
CBD Oil may be extracted from hemp using a range of technologies including:
- Supercritical CO2
- Hydrocarbon (eg: Butane)
- Cold Water (Bubble Hash)
- Hot Water / Steam
- Some other methods are also available.
For use in medicines Supercritical CO2 and Ethanol are the most popular and well documented methods and are the first choice of most groups seeking to develop legal CBD products in regulated markets.
Equipment used must be GMP compliant, ruling out most popular cannabis industry extraction brands.
To produce a GMP product the extraction process must follow GMP extraction processes in a GMP certified facility.
Provenance of Hemp for CBD Oil Production
Another factor which has a major bearing on the legality and suitability of CBD oil for extraction is the origin of the hemp used in extraction. To produce a therapeutic product the hemp must be legally produced, have a clear and well documented provenance, and have been handled to quality standards appropriate to the desired end use. For most medical production this requires a GAP (Good Agricultural Practice) hemp cultivation and post harvest processing followed by extraction and refinement to produce a GMP CBD extract for use in formulating medicines..
Quality certifications to consider include:
- State or federal hemp cultivation license
- USDA approved product
- GAP (Good Agricultural Practice) cultivation
- GMP (GMP) Processing, Extraction and finished product manufacture
- GDP (Good Distribution Practice) shipping and handling
- Organic certifications
- Food Grade certifications
- Fair Trade where applicable
- PETA approved
- “Made in Country” badging
- And many others
The certifications you select must be “baked in” from the right stage, they can’t be slapped on later. Your market and regulatory environment will dictate the most relevant certifications to consider.
GMP CBD Oil Considerations
When buying our sourcing GMP CBD Oil greater attention must be paid to the origin, quality, composition and provenance of the hemp used for extraction.
Because true GMP requires a consistent process using compliant or certified inputs, facilities and processes the details are more significant than they might be for a non-GMP product where substitution of similar items might be acceptable.
Factors to consider when buying CBD Oil
- Extraction Method
- Source of CBD (Hemp or Medical Cannabis)
- Cultivar of Cannabis sp
- Cultivation environment (indoor, greenhouse, outdoor)
- Stage of growth at harvesting (eg: pre-flower, early flower, full flower)
- Post harvest processing methodology
- Extraction methodology
- Extraction fractions (CO2 allow separate collection of terpenes, cannabinoids and oils separately). These can be kept separate or re-blended to formulate a full spectrum product
- Cannabinoid profile, especially CBD and THC levels but also preference for presence or absence of minor cannabinoids.
- Flavour and bouquet – hemp has a distinctive taste and smell due to the presence of terpenes and flavonoids which may also have relevant direct or synergistic therapeutic effects
- Colour and clarity – crude hemp extracts may be dark due to the presence of pigments such as chlorophyl and anthocyanins.
- Viscosity and other handling characteristics – CBD oil is highly viscous and difficult to mix – understanding the end use and mixing protocol dictates the requirements for the oil
Post Extraction Refinement
Crude CBD Extract has a consistency and color of molasses and lacks consistency. Further processing including winterisation, filtration or distillation may be required to produce a sufficiently standardised product to meet GMP expectations.
After extraction, CBD oil is typically further refined to remove less desirable components (such as waxes, lipids, pigments etc) and produce a more potent, pure and consistent CBD extract.
Typical post extraction processing steps include:
- Dewaxing / Winterisation – to remove waxes, fats and lipids
- Filtration – to remove particulates or residual wax fraction
- Carbon Scrubbing – to improve color and remove taints
- Distillation – to remove residual impurities such as solvents if present, and select for specific cannabinoids (eg: to increase CBD and lower THC).
- Chromatography – to remove impurities such as residual pesticides (which should not be present in the first place!) or to remove THC
- THC removal – typically using Distillation or Chromatography but other methods may be used.
After post processing, the finished CBD oil should be tested both in-house and by a third party lab to ensure it meets required specifications for potency, purity and consistency.
It can then be packaged following GMP protocols in suitable packaging for sale and distribution, or it may be formulated for use in finished products.
The result is a finished GMP CBD Extract such as:
- GMP Winterised CBD Oil (typical CBD content: 50-60%)
- GMP CBD Distillate (typical CBD content: 70-90%)
- GMP CBD Distillate – THC Free (typical CBD content: 70-90%)
- GMP CBD Isolate (typical CBD content: 99%+)
Read more about Hemp Derived GMP CBD Extracts and how they are manufactured.
GMP CBD Oil Formulations
Following extraction and refinement, CBD oil can be formulated with other compounds to produce a bulk finished product.
Examples of GMP CBD Oil Formulations include:
Rhizo Sciences can also custom formulate bulk components for finished product, which are ready for packing in your GMP fill and finish facility.
GMP CBD Bulk Products Include:
- GMP Bulk CBD Oil Tinctures
- GMP Bulk CBD Oil
- GMP Bulk CBD Vaporiser oil
- GMP Bulk CBD Vaporiser Juice
These bulk products can then be packaged in a GMP compliant fill-and-finish manufacturing facility to produce finished CBD products such as
- GMP CBD Oil Tinctures
- GMP CBD Oil Capsules
- GMP CBD Oil Softgels/gelcaps (Gelatine Capsules)
- GMP CBD Salves
- GMP CBD Suppositories
- GMP CBD Vaporiser Cartridges
GMP CBD Supply Contracts
Rhizo Sciences is offering supply contracts for GMP CBD hemp Extracts including oil, distillate and isolate to qualified manufacturers.
Due to the overwhelming demand and very new and limited supply of this product we have a long waiting list and stringent qualification requirements for prospective buyers.
We are seeking genuine long term purchasers with demonstrated manufacturing capability, market access, legitimate use, financial capability and business integrity.